11.13.2009

When Did I Grow Up

Since I graduated from college in July it seems like I've been on the fast track to adulthood. I suddenly went from being a carefree college student to a 9 to 5 working professional. I now have coworkers, a salary, a parking pass, health insurance, the whole shebang. I have to be responsible. How did this happen?!?! How did I go from living my own life, running on my own time to this?

Ever since I was little I always imagined myself in the workforce. Mostly I pictured what business attire I would get to wear and how cute I would look everyday...pencil skirts, blouses, blazers, heels...*sigh* In my naive head, a typical work day consisted of walking to my office dressed to the nines, sipping my Starbuck's steamer, and running into cute businessmen in elevators.

As usual, my perceptions let me down. When I first stepped into my office I noticed there were no pencil skirts, no blouses, no heels, no Starbuck's, and definitely no cute businessmen in the elevators. (I'm still trying to decide what's worse, no heels or no businessmen.) I felt jipped and disappointing, especially because I no longer had a good excuse to go on a new-business-wardrobe shopping spree.

I believe that wearing fancy office attire is a rite of passage to becoming a true professional, but for now I am relieved that I'm not required to dress up. Dressing casually keeps me from realizing that I am truly in the real world with real time responsibilities and I like it that way.

2 comments:

  1. Although you may not be dressed up for work, I'm happy to see that you dressed up your blog. There is a reason they call it the workforce. Like the Air force, you should be dressed to kill. But you might as well enjoy civilian dress while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you can get away with dressing as an Indian!!!

    ReplyDelete